We are a member of:
National Funeral Directors Association
North Carolina Funeral Directors Association
198 South Main Street
Marion, NC 28752
26 South Thomason Street
Old Fort , NC 28762
Tel: (828) 668 3161
Sigrid James "Sig" Westmoreland entered the funeral business in a storefront on Logan Street near the current location of R. L. Greene Surveyors after purchasing an existing business from a Mr. Nichols around 1932. Sometime during the 1930's, Mr. Westmoreland took on a partner and the name was changed to Westmoreland-Quinn Funeral Home. It is believed that Mr. Quinn was from the Spruce Pine area. The business was relocated to a residential home around the corner on West Court Street (see photo) and Quinn left the firm at some point. The early years were typical of life in a small town. The home was heated with coal-burning Heatrolas located in the living areas and water was heated in a "jack" on a wood-burning stove.
As to the operation of the business, it was not unusual for a family to sit up all night with the body in the funeral home drinking coffee and helping one another through what was the accepted ritual surrounding the loss of a loved one. Placing the body in the home for this period was a fairly regular occurrence as many families preferred to receive friends in a familiar environment and most funerals were conducted in a church.
Sig ran an ambulance service as well, which meant running emergency trips at all hours of the night and day. The first ambulance was a converted limousine purchased from Dr. Guy S. Kirby, Sr. WWII brought "black-out" drills which were conducted in anticipation of enemy attack.